Austin Healey - Austin Healey 100/6
The Austin Healey 100/6 was built from 1956. The first of what were called the Big Healeys, these six cylinder cars replaced the earlier 4 cylinder Healeys. The new engine was a version of the BMC C series 2639cc engine, fitted with twin carburettors initially quoting 102bhp. Although similar looking to the earlier 4 cylinder, the longer engine called for a longer wheelbase, the major visual differences being a different looking grille, and two additional small seats. These earlier Healey 100/6 are known as the 2+2 BN4 Healey. But with the heavier six cylinder engine having similar capacity the overall performance was no better than the earlier 4 cylinder cars, so for 1957 the 100/6 engine got a new six port cylinder head which increased the power to 117bhp. By 1958 the 100/6 evolved into the BN6 version, with 2 seat bodywork, still on the same wheelbase, and the extra space was now used to have increased luggage space. And for the owners of 4 cylinder cars who fancied having the 6 cylinder engine, there was a kit available to purchase which would enable this conversion. Production of the Austin Healey 100/6 (BN4 and BN6 types) continued to 1959.
Tyre size for the Healey 100/6 was originally 5.90x15 which is radial tyre equivalent 165R15, and Blockley produces the perfect 165VR15 tyre. For those wanting a non standard wider tyre, we also produce the 185/70VR15 size. And we also have a cross ply option . .