Delahaye as a company had been in existence since 1894 and latterly made expensive luxurious cars. For 1933 a new 3.2 litre 6 was produced with independent front suspension, which eventually evolved into the sportier Type 135. Lucy O'Reilly Schell funded the development of the shorter chassis race version. Delahaye took over the Delage company in 1935.
Post war Delahaye reintroduced it's prewar offerings, the 134 and 135, as chassis supplied for coachbuilders to clothe. Companies such as Chapron, Saoutchik, Figoni Letourneur, Franay and so on. But the writing was on the wall in the austere post war years, especially with the high horsepower taxes in France and elsewhere, and although a couple of more models were developed little was sold, and sadly by 1951 it was all over. The company was absorbed into the Hotchkiss company.