Porsche - Porsche 914
The VW-Porsche 914 was the mid engined car designed to be the replacement for both the Volkswagen Karman Ghia Coupe on the one hand, and the Porsche 912 on the other. The initial plan had been for the VW to be a 4 cylinder and the Porsche to be the 6 cylinder, but on reflection Porsche got worried that a car sold in the USA under the Porsche brand looking externally the same as a VW could cause long term harm to the Porsche image, so decided that both 4 and 6 cylinder cars to be sold as Porsche in the USA. There were then various complications which led to the cost of the 6 cylinder 914/6 to spiral which meant the 914/6 had a short production run which had ended by 1972. The 914/4, however, sold in huge numbers until production ceased in 1976.
Tyre sizes for the Porsche 914/4 and 914/6 was:
- for Porsche 914/4 with 1.7 litre engine 155R15
- for Porsche 914/4 with 1.8 litre engine 165R15
- for Porsche 914/6 tyre size was 165R15 or option 14" wheels with 185HR14
- for Porsche 914/6 with 2 litre engine 165HR15
- For the wider option 15" wheels, the tyre size was 185/70VR15
- Blockley produces all four of the tyre sizes used on the Porsche 914/4 and 914/6. We guarantee that if these steel belted Blockleys are not the best tyres you have driven on we will refund.