Famous prewar for his V8 engined Trials specials and later Steyr engined hill climb car, Sydney Allard offered a wide range of cars from 1946, initially with the V8 Ford engine built at Dagenham. These were cars with lusty performance for those bleak rationed days, and sales were hampered only by the number of cars they could produce! J was the sports 2 seater, K the 2 set tourer, L the 4 seater, M the drophead coupe and P was the saloon. Sales to the USA were healthy and contributed to the UK's much needed foreign currency, and these cars were usually sent out without engines, where the Cadillac was often the engine of choice. By 1956 the cars were a little dated and the V8's no longer made at the UK Ford plant, and the expensive chassis tooling for the side rails that Allard had been making use of needed replacement, so a new tube design of chassis was produced by Dudley Hume. So the Palm Beach had a new chassis designed in house, and using 4 cylinder Consul and 6 cylinder Zephyr engines, and later even Jaguar. Allard ceased production in 1960 and began building modified versions of the Anglia which they marketed as the Allardette.