The original Amilcar was made during the cyclecar craze, in 1921. The following year was the CC and longer C4 and a sportier 1,000cc CS in 1924. The halcyon years were approaching, with the bigger 1074cc side vale CGS, and the sports version CGSS which were also built outside France under licenece in Austria (called the Gofri), Italy and Germany. Vernon Balls was the UK concessionaire. There was also a built from scratch C6 supercharged 1100cc racer available to private enthuiisiasts, although the factory works cars had the improved CO version with non detachable cylinder head. That put a total stop to the arms race in the 1100cc race class with their rivals Salmson. With the financial crash and world economic depression of the 1930's the M Type introduced in the later 1920's carried on into 1935. The company changed hands and various projects ensued, along with a tie in with Hotchkiss. But Amilcar did not survive the war years.