Rene Panhard and Emile Levassor were true pioneers who were instrumental in the development of the motor car. A further partner in the company was Belgian lawyer Edouard Sarazin, who had negotiated the rights to Daimlers patented engine, and on his sudden death in 1887 his wife Louise convinced Daimler that she was capable of carrying on the arrangement, while Panhard et Levassor were given the concession to manufacture the Daimler engine in France as had been intended. She signed a new agreement on visiting Gottlieb Daimler in early 1889, the same year she was remarried Emille Levassor. By 1892 Panhard Levassor came up with their cleverly thought out "Systeme Panhard" for a vehicle with an engine in front of a chassis, driven through mechanical gears behind to the rear axle wheels, with the Daimler narrow angle V twin engine using the hot tube ignition principle invented by Maybach, where fuel was used to heat up platinum tubes which would would ignite the fuel air mixture as it was compressed. Panhard et Levassor evolved to making their own engines starting with the vertical twin Phoenix first seen in 1895, which was the template for their future engines. The cars were used regularly in competitions, and unfortunately Emille Levassor died in 1897 following injuries he received while leading a race in 1896. After this the role of General manager was taken by Arthur Krebs. Panhard et Levassor continued building the most advanced and best vehicles, and demand was high. In 1900 the waiting list for a car extended to one year! By the 1920's many of their cars engines were built on the Knight sleeve valve principles. Post World War 2 the company was known as Panhard specialised in 2 cylinder air cooled engines and were one of the fist producers of a front wheel drive car (Dyna). Panhard were taken over by Citroen in 1965.