The Bamford and Martin company was a small outfit, involved mainly with building racing and competition cars, and as such producing and selling a small number of cars. But things gradually changed when the Italian A.C. "Bert" Bertelli got involved with his new designs. His brother Enrico "Harry" Bertelli was the coachbuilder whose flair in body design helped commercial sales enormously, while the policy of continued competition use brought Aston Martin considerable brand publicity.
Post war David Brown (of tractors and gears fame) purchased Aston Martin with the 2 1/2 litre Bentley designed engine which was used in the new DB2, which was subsequently made into a 3 litre engine for the DB2/4 Mk2 and Mk3. By 1958 a new and larger 3.7 litre engine was built for the new DB4, which by 1963 had evolved into the DB5 with a 4 litre version of the same engine. A longer chassis and different styling led to the DB6 in 1965 which carried on in production to 1970. Concurrently with the DB6, another six cylinder model called the DBS , with much more "modern" bodywork, was introduced in 1967. From 1969 this DBS could be ordered with a 5.3 litre V8 engine, which unsurprisingly was called the DBS V8.