Trevor Wilkinson built a kit around Austin A40 mechanicals and got orders for 6 more and this was the start of the TVR Grantura Mk1 in 1957, sold with either Ford Anglia or Climax engines. Mk2's had small wings on the rear wing fins usually had the MGB engine, and sold well in the USA. After Wilkinson left the business in 1962 a TVR was built for an American customer with a V8, and so the Griffith was born. A new owner in 1965 had the new V8 Tuscan ready for the 1967 racing car show for an American customer but for European use they had the Ford V6, while at the same time the Vixen had the MG or Cortina engines. By late 1971 the new M series (M for Martin) began and in 1975 the Taimar was a sensation at the Motor Show.