Riley started off in the cycle building industry and moved to cars in 1907, and invented the detachable wire wheel. Starting with various V twin models, the companys volume production started with the 10.9 and 11.9hp side valves , and accelerated with the advent of the efficient 1100cc Riley 9 which came in so many formats, including race cars. A 6 cylinder range started in 1930 (14/6 , 12/6 and 15/6) . In 1934 a 12/4 1500cc range was started. Riley made so much variety, and such good quality. There were sporting and race cars too, and the achievements of Freddie Dixon at Brooklands and elsewhere using his special 6 cylinder Rileys was truly awe inspiring. Riley also built a V8 and also branched into the Autovia V8 which was a costly exercise, as well as producing the new 2 1/2 litre "Big Four" for 1937, but the cost of all this coupled with the econmoic downturn and cash flow problems at a time just before the war made the company insolvent, and it was bought by William Morris (Lord Nuffiled). Post war there was the 1.5 litre and 2.5 litre RM series cars, the engines of which were supplied to Healey for so many of his post war cars such as the Healey Silverstone. The name Riley was carried on in the BMC organisation initially with the Pathfinder (considered the last "real" Riley), the Elf variation on the Mini, and finally the Kestrel which ended in 1969 when in BMC's rationalising the name Riley disappeared.