Daimlers history in the UK starts when Frederick Simms bought the rights to the Daimler engine in 1893, using the name Daimler Motor Syndicate. In 1896 the Daimler Motor Company was formed by Simms and Harry Lawson and car production commenced in Coventry, using the Mayybach designed vertical twin Phoenix engine. By 1910 Daimler and BSA (British Small Arms) And as the years progressed the sheer range of Daimler models produced was staggering. The Daimler sleeve valve engines, built on the Knight patents, were used exclusively from 1910 until the early 1930's when they were considered out of date, and Lawrence Pomeroy designed a new "conventional" engine for 1933. Post WW2 the company had cars with their 6 (such as the DB18) and 8 cylinder engines, but many of the typical Daimler customers had switched their allegiance to Rolls Royce. So the smaller cars such as the Conquest models became the backbone of the company, and they developed the V8 for the Majestic which led to their most successful car the SP250 (Daimler Dart).
Daimler was purchased outright by Jaguar in 1960, as Jaguar needed to find larger premises and were continually being offered incentives by the government to move out of Coventry to an area needing the employment, by Sir William Lyons was determined to stay put. The purchase added one million square feet of factory space. The Daimler SP250 was carried on with , along with teh larger V8 engine and from then onward the Daimler cars were all based on the Jaguar range, but with different specifications. Jaguar later became part of BMC, and was eventually taken over by Ford in 1990.